homereviewsrecipeslinksmegamallfacebooktwittermyspaceemail

ARCHIVE

 

 

 

Friday, June 12, 2009

THE GRUB REPORT: Ingredient of the Week: Figs

Okay. I admit it. We fudged on the rules a little this week. Our beautiful fresh figs came from one county over. But when I saw them at a grocery store in Muncie, I just couldn't pass them up.
Fresh figs are one of those foods I covet. There's just nothing like them. The dried or Newtoned varieties are fine, but they can't hold a candle to the sublime smell, taste and texture of the fresh fruit, in my book.

I remember the first time I had a fresh fig. It was straight from the tree in the back yard of my uncle's parents, immigrants from Italy who had settled in California. I've loved them ever since.
The figs we found were the deep purple, plump, teardrop-shaped Mission variety. They came five to the package, piled in one of those ubiquitous plastic hinged-lid produce boxes. And when my family came up for a visit last weekend, it was the perfect opportunity to make a simple, fresh dessert that showcased the figs.

I picked up a small tub of ricotta cheese (another of my favorite ingredients) from a local grocery and used about half of it, and I pulled out the tarragon (one of my favorite herbs) that was in our fridge, left over from a batch of tarragon butter that accompanied steaks we grilled recently. I also had to pick up a new bottle of honey, and opted for the darker (and consequently cheaper) version, because I wanted a heavier flavor.

The resulting dish was nothing short of divine. Or at least my dad -- from whom I must've inherited my love of figs -- and I thought so. I have to admit that the rest of the group were underwhelmed. The reviews ranged from "It's OK" to "It's weird." So if you find fresh figs and try this concoction, you'll probably get mixed reviews, too. But you may just find that you, too, will become a fig devotee and dream of the day when you'll get the chance to enjoy them again.

Here's the recipe:

Fresh Figs, Tarragon Ricotta and Honey
Ingredients
Fresh tarragon leaves, roughly chopped (I'd estimate it was a teaspoon or a little more, but you could vary it to your taste)
Ricotta cheese (about half a small tub is enough for five figs)
Fresh figs (any variety will likely do, but Missions work great with this flavor combo)
Brown sugar (about a half a teaspoon per fig, or more if you wish)
Honey (enough for generous drizzles across each portion)

Instructions
Mix the tarragon into the ricotta, preferably a few hours before so the flavor infuses into the cheese somewhat.

Set the oven to broil. Slice the figs in half from top to bottom, and place them on a sheet pan or any oven safe dish. Sprinkle generously with brown sugar, and broil for a few minutes. (Time will vary from oven to oven. Just make sure you keep close watch on them. You want the sugar caramelized, but the difference between that and burnt is a matter of seconds.) Let cool while you prepare the plates.

Spoon cheese onto plates. (Quenelles are a nice way to go, but any neat mound or dollop will do, really.) Place the figs next to the cheese, and generously drizzle all with honey.

Do you have any foods you love but can't often find? Or do you have any memories of the first time you tried a favorite food? We'd love to hear about them.

Originally posted to The Grub Report by Patricia Gibson on July 11, 2007 07:30 PM

Labels: , ,

posted by Tricia at





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

megamallad
 

©2010 Meals and Movies