homereviewsrecipeslinksmegamallfacebooktwittermyspaceemail

ARCHIVE

 

 

 

Friday, June 12, 2009

THE GRUB REPORT: A new rhubarb treat


I had rhubarb left over from my recent pie escapade, so I rummaged through my cookbooks to find something new to try.

I decided to go with a concoction from The Gourmet Cookbook.

I won't reprint the recipe here, because this is a modern cookbook that is still in print (and one that I highly recommend adding to your library).

But I thought I'd tell you about it and share a picture.



It's a twist on the classic upside-down cake, which I'd only ever had made with pineapple. This one features rhubarb in the topping and anise in the batter. Turns out that rhubarb sings when used in this way. It's sweetness really comes out, and along with the sugar, just on the verge of burnt, it creates a melt-in-your-mouth layer with wonderful flavor.

The cake itself is rather remarkable too. The batter was wonderfully silky and it baked up into a dense but not heavy cake that would easily rival any boxed white cake mix (most of which would be too fluffy for this, anyway.)I do have to say I think if I made it again I'd go a little heavier on the anise seed, because I didn't get much of that flavor. But overall I'd say this is definitely a treat I'll make again.

Originally posted to The Grub Report by Patricia Gibson on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:45 PM EDT

Labels: ,

posted by Tricia at





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

megamallad
 

©2010 Meals and Movies